So this article was published last week. Ever since I've read it, I've felt nothing but guilt and sadness. Trying to not beat myself up. Trying to be okay with our decision. Knowing that this situation wouldn't have happened to me in March, even if I had went with a second opinion. I have to remember I was offered a second opinion to ensure they were reading the ultrasound right. Not to see what else could be done. The diagnosis for us was fatal. But it stings. And then I think, "Jennifer. Stop being so shitty. Start being happy for this couple. Stop being jealous that she got to go to John Hopkins and tried an experimental procedure. Just STOP IT!" .....and then I do. ....and then it slowly starts up again.
Here's the article: Baby Survives Potters Sequence
*Note-I should add that I hate that they're calling it Potter's Sequence. The baby's condition was Bilateral Renal Agenesis (BRA). That is what she is surviving. Potter's Sequence is an old term that's used to describe the physical appearance of babies that have low amniotic fluid (Oligohydramnios). In this situation I would say it's probably more accurate to assume that this baby did not have Oligohydramnios, and therefore did not have Potters Sequence (or at least they reversed it), as the mother was getting the faux fluid. But it is a crazy scientific development that this baby is surviving BRA outside the womb. I don't know. I'm not a doctor.
Anyway, James has his renal ultrasound this week to find out if he has 2 kidneys or 1. This will solidify what our chances of recurrence are, depending on how many his has cooking up urine.
When does this nightmare end? I guess it doesn't. Because I haven't woken up in 4 and 1/2 months.
No comments:
Post a Comment