Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Business

One of the biggest worries I've had since this whole thing started was our finances. So on top of all the emotional trauma that I've been dealing with day in and day out, it's making sure that our rent will be paid, that bills will be paid, and that food is on the table.  

Not to mention the hospital bills that will be coming in. I just called to get an idea of what will be submitted to insurance...wow. Just wow.  I expected a lot, but I didn't expect to hear those numbers. The genetic testing hasn't even been billed for yet. This is the time where I find out what my insurance plan is really made of. I swear if it comes through the way I think it might, I will stop bitching about it like I have been for the last 5 1/2 years. 

But the rest of finances are still a slight concern. I was in the hospital Thursday through Sunday. So last Monday morning when I woke up at home, I started "taking care of business". Handling the business side of things is always the perfect way for me to not acknowledge my emotions. If there's no research left to be done or business to take care of, then I'm left sitting here feeling things. I got bills paid for the rest of March, as I had gotten paid while in the hospital. I didn't have enough paid-time-off for work to cover my work missed (we accrue ours bi-weekly instead of being given the lump sum at the beginning of the year)--if I had gone to term I would have accrued plenty. So the lack of pay-check in the next month is a scary thought. I ended up looking into one our other benefits though, applied, & got approved. A refund we were waiting on from the state (although small) came through. Another small refund should be coming to us by the end of the month. Again these are not large sums of money, but it's money that'll help us not worry as much. My husband always says, "things have a way of working themselves out". I hate it when he says these sorts of things. The realist/pessimist in me gets annoyed by optimistic non-sense. But it seems this time, and a lot of other times, he's right Things will be tight, but still okay. I may not feel like I can breathe most days, but at least it's not being worsened by something as stupid as money. I did have the talk with my step-daughter though, letting her know that things this next month will be tight, but we'll do our best to make sure she won't notice. We'll still make sure she's provided for, we just might not be able to do as much extra stuff that we like to do. She, as always, is more than understanding.

Of course I have a lot of family, friends, and acquaintances to thank for meals that have shown up and gift cards and money. Nights where we couldn't fathom going into the kitchen and coming up with a meal, we were covered. A trip to the co-op for some necessities, we were covered. Picking up some things from Target so my step-daughter could have candy in her Easter basket next week, we were covered. My husband has never experienced the death of a loved one and didn't understand why people would make food for the bereaved in these situations--now he does. Thank you to everyone that was able to help. <3

1 comment:

  1. You just let know when and I'll be there with a few boxes of eggrolls in hand- Nick

    ReplyDelete